Upgrading to MQ 9.2.1 on Ubuntu using apt was easy, but got messy.

Installing MQ 9.2.1 over an earlier release of MQ was almost easy!

I started here and downloaded the developer edition into ~/MQ921.

    • I had to cd ~/MQ921/MQSERVER to run the license.sh.
    • I could not edit a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d because I was not authorised, using sudo gedit failed with:
      • Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyUnable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused.   Gtk-WARNING **: 10:34:55.390: cannot open display: :0
      • I could have used xhost +local:  to fix this problem.
    • I used the filename  ibmmq921-install.list instead of the suggested  ibmmq-install.list because I already had an ibmmq.list file in the directory.
    • I created  ibmmq921-install.list in my home directory and then used sudo mv ibmmq921-install.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ .
    • Initially I forgot to do sudo apt update – so the install did not find the updated file.
    • When I ran sudo apt update it displayed 10 packages can be upgraded. Run ‘apt list –upgradable’ to see them.
    • I ran sudo apt update and it displayed 
ibmmq-client/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]
ibmmq-gskit/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]
ibmmq-java/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]
ibmmq-jre/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]
ibmmq-man/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]
ibmmq-runtime/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]
ibmmq-samples/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]
ibmmq-sdk/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]
ibmmq-server/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]
ibmmq-web/unknown 9.2.1.0 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.1.5.0]

    • I ran sudo apt upgrade it ran for a short while and ended successfully.
    • The command dspmqver showed Version 9.2.1.0 – so success.
    • Starting the queue manager strmqm QMA gave IBM MQ queue manager ‘QMA’ started using V9.2.1.0

It got messy

After I had successfully installed MQ, the next time I ran sudo apt update it gave me lots of messages like 

Get:1 file:/home/colinpaice/MQ921/MQServer ./ InRelease
Ign:1 file:/home/colinpaice/MQ921/MQServer ./ InRelease
Get:2 file:/home/colinpaice/MQ921/MQServer ./ Release
Ign:2 file:/home/colinpaice/MQ921/MQServer ./ Release

By adding in the file, means apt checks it every time.  I could not see how any updates were going to appear in the files, so I removed the file from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

I also deleted the files I downloaded (890 MB) and the unzipped directory (927MB).  (I needed to use sudo rm -r MQ921 because the files have write-protection.

Not very tidy.

 

 

2 thoughts on “Upgrading to MQ 9.2.1 on Ubuntu using apt was easy, but got messy.

  1. Yep seems like a normal process until things are slightly different.
    Have found in the past that if you follow the rules and names etc then all is fine and dandy BUT put 1 thing slighty different and all hell breaks lose.

    I always wonder why this is the case when you create the files and point it in the correct location etc, it is as if something built into the software says hold on that is not 100% the same so am going to throw my dummy out of teh pram.

    Still at least we have the option to follow the book letter by letter if things do go wrong, because after all everyone sets their environment up the same don’t they!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s