My preferred way of assembling some code is to use JCL. The next best way is to use the “as – Use the HLASM assembler to produce object files“. (For example “as -a -d xxxx.o xxxx.s 1>a”) Unfortunately I needed to use the”C” compiler xlc, because I wanted to compile a file for a Python External command.
The basic syntax is
xlc “-Wa,LIST” zonsole.s 1>a 2>b
- -Wa specifies these are options for the assembler source
- LIST says generate a listing. By default it does not generate a listing, only the error file.
- zonsole.s is my assembler source program
- 1>a says put the listing into file a
- 2>b says put the error file into file b
At the top of the listing file is
No Overriding ASMAOPT Parameters
Overriding Parameters- NODECK,OBJECT,TERM,NOLIST,NOESD,NORLD,NOXREF,FLAG(4),LIST
No Process Statements
** ASMA425N Option conflict in invocation parameters. LIST overrides an earlier setting.
The options in the -Wa are described here