I went through the documentation for migrating mid-range MQ up to the latest level (9.1.1) for MQ on Ubuntu,and for installing fix packs, so I could be ready to install MQ 9.1.2 which is now out.
It felt like the documentation had not been properly tested, nor tested in a typical enterprise environment, so I have written up some up some instructions to help you.
Ive written this up here and tried to cover the scenarios most people will have to go through. For example
- Before installing 9.1.2 you’ll need to delete 9.1.1.
- You cannot have multi version install with Ubuntu.
- Being a cautious person I use sudo to issue the commands that need root, rather than switch to root itself for the duration of the install.
- When you install a new v.r.m it puts the files in MQServer directory, when you install a fix pack, it puts the files in the same directory as your .gz file, along with all of the rubbish you have accumulated over the years.
- Rename your MQServer directory to MQServer911 – to make it clear what it is for, and so when you install 9.1.2 it does not overwrite the contents.
- It is good to clean up after you