People like to customise how they work. This blog is the z/OS personalisation I tend to do. If you have other suggestions please let me know.
Running zPDT on Ubuntu
The recommendation is to run zPDT under a different userid ibmsys1. To be able to switch between userids
- Switch user from pull down, select ibmsys1
- You can switch back to the your normal userid using Ctrl-Alt-F2, and use Ctrl-Alt-F3 to switch to the ibmsys1 userid
- I could not see how to cut and paste between userids so I have a file I write to from one userid, and read the file from “the other side”
- Post on virtual terminals. and how to switch without F keys.
Ive been running on my normal userid without any problems
Set time zone
Edit /etc/profile and set the TZ. It defaults to EST5EDT. I used BST for British Summer Time ( or Europe/London).
Screen size using bigger screens.
- Use x3270 -model 5 to get 132*27 screen size. It works for the console and ISPF terminal .The -oversize 133×60 parameter should work.
- Logon and use ISPF =0 ro set defaults. Scroll down
- To have command line at the top / Command line at bottom remove the /
- Scroll down. Screen format 3 1. Data 2. Std 3. Max 4. Part
- Terminal Type 4 1. 3277 2. 3277A 3. 3278 4. 3278A
Other ISPF personalisation
_ Command line at bottom remove the / to have the command line at the top
/ Tab to point-and-shoot fields so you can tap to column headers, press enter and sort by the columne
- Member list options
/ Scroll member list
/ Allow empty member list
/ Allow empty member list (nomatch)
/ Empty member list for edit only
- pfshow off remove the PFKEYS at the bottom
- ISPF keys set PF12 to retrieve not cancel
- ISPF set scroll to CSR not PAGE in all applications
- ISPF 3.4 use reflists list of the last 30 data sets used, or your own list
- Setting the ISPF main panel.
- Copy ADCD.Z24A.ISPPLIB(ISR@PRIM) to USER.Z24A.ISPPLIB(MYMAIN).
- Add extra content and comparisons at the bottom for example ISMF,’PGM(DGTFMD01) NEWAPPL(DGT)’ .
- The following are already defined
- ISMF,’PGM(DGTFMD01) NEWAPPL(DGT)’
- SMPE,’PGM(GIMSTART) PARM(&ZCMD) NOCHECK’
- When you use the TSO Logon panel specify Command ===> ispf panel(MYMAIN)
Escape key to break into long running commands use the escape key. Default is the cent key
You can use x3270 to set a key to this value, in .x3270pro
x3270.keymap: mine ! Definition of the 'mine' keymap x3270.keymap.mine: #override \ <Key>Escape: Clear()\n\ <Key>End: FieldEnd()\n\ Ctrl<Key>Delete: EraseEOF()\n\ Ctrl<Key>Right: NextWord()\n\ Ctrl<Key>Left: PreviousWord()\n\ Ctrl<Key>Up: Home()\n\ <Key>Control_L: Reset()\n\ <Key>Control_R: Reset()\n\ <Key>Prior: PF(7)\n\ <Key>Next: PF(8)\n\ <Btn3Down>: PA(1)\n\ Ctrl<Key>1: PA(1)\n\ ! the next define Alt 4 and Ctrl \ as ¢. Alt<Key>4: String("\\x00a2")\n\ Ctrl<Key>backslash: String("\\x00a2")
- the \\ escape characters.
- lines end in \n\ which is new line + continutation
- this also defines Ctrl 1 as PA1
- String(“\\x00a2\n”) would type the cent symbol and press enter
Set userids OMVS information
create directory /u/adcd then use RACF command
ALTUSER ADCDA OMVS(HOME('/u/adcd') PROGRAM('/bin/sh')) ALTUSER START1 OMVS( PROGRAM('/bin/sh'))
- Set clock time zone. Copy ADCC.Z24A.PARMLIB(CLOCK00) to USER.Z24A.PARMLIB(CLOCK00) and edit it. Note: FEU.Z24A.PARMLIB(CLOCK00) is used by default.
- SET TIMEZONE=E.01.00 command
- RMF not a good idea – sometimes abends (S0C6) other times locks up z/OS
The following come from FEU.Z24A.PARMLIB
Create user.z24a.proclib(GTF). The text in bold is new text compared to SYS1.PROCLIB(GTF). It deletes the data set before reallocating it. It allows a userid to be specified.
//GTFNEW PROC M=GTFPARM,ID=SYS1 //DELETE EXEC PGM=IEFBR14 //IEFRDER DD DSNAME=&ID..TRACE,UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,20), * // DISP=(MOD,DELETE) //IEFPROC EXEC PGM=AHLGTF,PARM='MODE=EXT,DEBUG=NO,TIME=YES', * // TIME=1440,REGION=2880K //IEFRDER DD DSNAME=&ID..TRACE,UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,20), * // DISP=(NEW,KEEP) //SYSLIB DD DSNAME=USER.Z24A.PROCLIB(&M),DISP=SHR
and any others you need for example USER.Z24A.PROCLIB(GTFRACF)