Before you start to configure AMS on z/OS, you need to understand if you are licensed for AMS, see here. You need to understand this so you know what value to use in your AMSPROD. If you use the wrong value, your billing may be wrong.
I used the instructions here. There are a lot of steps, but they are clear, and worked. The AMS address space is started by the queue manager, once all the set up has been done. If you try to start it by hand, it will fail.
If you have to put in change requests for changes to security profiles you may want to build one big list for the security team to do (or perhaps better,create the JCL with all of the commands, and ask the security team to run the commands for you). The security team may have views about the granularity of access to keyrings (using FACILITY (a user can access any keyring) or RDATALIB (you give access to a specific ring <ringowner>.<ringName>.LST)).
In Enable Advanced Message Security, I created a new zparm module, for example CSQZAMSP with the SPLCAP=YES and the AMSPROD=xxxx value.
I started the queue manager with
%csq9 start qmgr parm(csqzamsp)
If you need to start the queue manager without AMS, just use your previous version.
Once MQ starts, and the AMS address space starts.
If you want to change the AMS policy you need to use CSQ0UTIL.
If you change the keyring, or the AMS policy you need to refresh the AMS address space.
F qmgrAMSM,REFRESH KEYRING F qmgrAMSM,REFESH POLICY F qmgrAMSM,REFRSH ALL
If you cancel the xxxxAMSM address space the queue manager will end.
Generation of certificates.
AMS only supports RSA certificates, so you cannot use Elliptic Curves, you must use GENCERT.. RSA ( or let it default to RSA).
Other AMS blog posts
- Overview and challenges of using end to end message encryption (AMS).
- Certificate and keyring management for AMS.
- Installing AMS on z/OS.
- What certificates do I need for AMS with a client going to z/OS?
- checkAMS: program to check your AMS defintions are consistent with z/OS keyring
- Adding more users to AMS.
- Installing AMS on midrange for end to end message protection
- Understanding setmqspl to set up AMS definitions.
- How to administer AMS policies, and use the set policy command.
- Brain check and reset, needed for AMS keystores on midrange.
- Using runamscred to encrypt the passwords in the keystore.conf file.
- How do I find the recipients and signer of an AMS message?
- I have a message on the AMS DLQ – what can I do about it? and How do I process messages on the dead letter queue (DLQ)?